The reason behind this post is very simple : To write down my aa-haa moments while playing Uncharted 2. So let’s get to it.
- Like any good action adventure game, Uncharted 2 focuses on mainly 4 kinds on gameplay. Combat, Puzzles, Platforming & Exploration. What makes this game good is the pacing of those elements.
- While its got a blockbuster movie like story & excellent narrative structure, the most particular moment is when you come back to train wrack & quickly do platforming similar to beginning of game. There can be no better way of reminding players that they are not in flashback anymore.
- Co-op. By this I don’t mean co-op(split screen) mode. I mean the co-op platforming with ally like Elena & Tenzin. And at its extreme case carrying wounded cameraman through flying bullets while Elena & Chloe give cover fire.
- Letting players appreciate its visuals before entering other sequences. Particularly, Top of Museum, Top of Hotel in Nepal & Walking around in Village for first time.
- One way conversations with Tenzin. This is where Uncharted 2 Dialogs were at its best.
- And yes, the Train sequence. I don’t think this one needs any explanation.
- Uninterrupted loading of maps & split second respawning of Drake. Loading between maps is inevitable due to memory constraints on consoles, but it breaks the immersion of player. By being a PS3 exclusive & using clever data streaming method, Uncharted 2 gave a seamless & immersive experience.
This was my attempt to analyze the game as a player, and I will try to do another post from game developer’s perspective.